Sunday, November 29, 2009

Back To Normal

Last week, I ripped Coach Richt and his staff for not taking accountability for the things gone wrong. Well, after the GT game, CMR was back to his normal self as he took responsibility and I wanted to pass this quote along...

“I think that as I look back I’ve never had a season where the turnover ration was just so poor,” Richt said. “I think if you just take that one thing and make it just break even, we’d probably win two or three more games without changing one thing. But you can’t do that, and there’s definitely some things we need to correct. But I think everything is correctable. I think it’s a season of self-inflicted wounds, and that’s my responsibility to make sure we do better.”

That is quite a refreshing quote coming after last night's victory. Now it is time to wait and see what Richt plans to do to correct our problems. The program is in good hands with lots of young talent all over the place - I have confidence in Richt to make the necessary adjustments to get us back in contention for championships in the very near future. It's gonna be an interesting off-season.


3 comments:

Dog44 said...

I agree. You know, one thing that hasn't really been talked about much yet is what kind of a toll this season has taken on Richt. Any thoughts on that?

It's got to be terribly frustrating to go through a season like this... particularly in light of the criticism endured by his assistant coaches (whom are like family to Richt.) Georgia is a great place to coach at... but our fan base can be heck when you're not winning (and even when you are.)

All that to say, regardless of what happens in the future, I just have a feeling that this year will have taken its toll on CMR. I wonder if in the grand scheme of things all of this is worth putting up with for him. There are plenty of other missions out there he could pursue besides winning football games (church and mission work at the top of the list, I'm sure.) I know he loves football and is very competitive, but at what cost? Based on his post-game demeanor, he sure didn't seem to enjoy this victory a whole lot.

Thoughts?

JJ said...

Dog44:

I totally agree, and this is something I've been thinking about for a while. You'll hear alot of people say that a decade (or at least almost a decade) is long enough for any coach to be at one school these days. I have to wonder if CMR is getting tired of dealing with the demanding UGA fanbase. I can't say I'd blame him if he is, but I also know that the UGA fanbase isn't ever going to change the way it is. In fact, in the internet age, it will probably get alot "worse." It takes a special kind of personality to deal with expectations at schools like UGA, Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Texas, Notre Dame, etc. Richt is a special human being, but not sure he's the kind of "special" that can put up with all the crap that comes with being the coach of one of the aforementioned schools in this day and age.

That said, as long as he can manage to win 10 games a year in every season going forward, win an SEC title every 3 years and be in the MNC hunt during those years, things should be relatively easy on him. Not much to ask.

Sports Dawg said...

You know, he's said before you won't have to worry about him coaching as long as his mentor Bobby Bowden. Not to mention the rumors that he longs for the mission field. He's certainly doesn't have the same innonence he came to Athens with. Once he gets the kids out of school, he's probably looking at it as one year contracts after that. What do you think, he makes fifteen for sure, perhaps twenty? Then it's anybody's guess?